Thursday, March 11, 2021

A table, and the lights

Well, I finally figured how I was going to do the lighting but decided to use my styrofoam cup and the napkin to make a table first. 

First I scored the top of the cup so I could cut it to the height I wanted.

Then with scissors I made two cuts up to that line
and used my X-acto to cut along the scored line to give me room to cut along the rest of the scored line with scissors.
That cut finished.
Then I trimmed the ridge around the bottom of the cup with scissors and sanded the bottom smooth.
Cut a pattern for the table cover and folded it into eighths.
Used the pattern to cut the top layer of my napkin.
and marked the eighths with a pencil on the underside.
Spread glue on the bottom of the cup.
Centred the napkin on the table. Let that glue dry.
Used a dot of glue to attached the napkin to the cup at the quarter points.
Next, glued at the eighth points then between those.
So here's the finished table.

Originally had planned to use foamboard to hide the lights but decided instead to use cardstock. First of all, I decided to use double-faced carpet tape to hold the light strip and cardstock in place. So I drew a line across the front of the ceiling with the front cover fits inside. Then I put the carpet tape around the edge of the ceiling.

The carpet tape had to be trimmed to the edge of the ceiling opening.
In the upper right hand corner you can see the hole that the light strip has to be threaded through.
The the light strip was added off the way around the outer edge of the ceiling.
I have lights!!
Cut three strips of cardstock 7/8" wide. scored a line 1/4" from the edge and folded it at right angles.
Then I figured out where the curved corners would be and cut several slits into the 1/4" folded piece. Here's the first strip of cardstock. I started with this strip at the back. Because the tape is so very sticky, I covered the curved section and the sides with strips of wax paper until I had the straight piece in place then pulled the wax paper out so I could place the curved sections. Once the back piece was in place, I took the second strip and placed it in position in the front. This left me with a small section in the middle of each side that was empty so I took the third strip of cardstock and filled in those areas, gluing the additions in place.
Everything now in place.
Upright with the front cover in place and the lights on.
Few things in place.
My next step will be to gather together everything on the list that I haven't used so far and decide what to do next. Have some ideas but we'll see what happens.


2 comments:

  1. Nice way to use those strip lights, Maureen. And adding the shield in front really softens the glow from the lights. Godd idea! - Marilyn

    ReplyDelete