Sunday, April 18, 2021

Updating the wine rack/liquor table for the living room

Joanne phoned this morning and asked what I was doing to which I replied "just moving some liquor bottles from the penthouse bar to the black and white living room". You know, one of those conversations that makes perfect sense to us as miniaturists but could really seem a bit bizarre to anyone overhearing us.  Although that isn't quite as bizarre as hearing "Well, I just took the bodies out of the oven."

Anyway, sometime before I retired in 2007, the industrial arts teacher at Sir George Simpson School sent me the plans for this wine rack thinking I might want to make it in miniature, which I did. It originally had a flat black finish but for this room I added a gloss varnish.


I love coasters on furniture. It's lovely to be able to move things around with little effort. Unfortunately, I don't have them on much of my RL furniture but I can certainly have them on my miniature furniture!

Some time ago, Joanne gave me several of these desiccant cylinders. I've used them for several things such as kitchen canisters over the years. Here I've made an ice bucket by painting one gold and adding a black bead on top.

The top of the rack has a border around it. It contains the ice bucket, three liquor bottles, a water pitcher, two bottles of Coke, and three glasses from Victoria MiniLand.

Hanging from the glass rack are two silver and two crystal wine glasses.

Below that one the wine rack are five bottles of wine.

Filling the top shelf was easy as everything had a base of miniature moveable glue but filling the bottom with the wine glasses and wine bottles was a nightmare. One little shake of my hands and everything would go flying. But finally got everything in place....

And, miracle of miracles, got it placed in the living room.

Tomorrow, I hope to have the firescreen finished and the third table repaired. 

Tonight, I'll tidy up from the last couple day's work. Once this project is finished, I have to do a BIG clean up. I have a couple hundred Ziploc bags of minis that have to be put on the bulletin boards. And while I was working on this, there were several times I had to search through 2 shoeboxes to find things I know I have but aren't on the bulletin boards. 

7 comments:

  1. What a great morning chuckle. Maureen - when I read your conversation with your friend. Yes, we miniaturists have lots of conversations between us that, at best, would be confusing to non-miniaturists, at worst - frightening! I love your wine rack. Any chance you might share the plans with us some time in the future, if you still have it? Have a great day! - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so many dessicants and never thought of using them this way. Thanks for the idea. You project turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've had good luck painting them with acrylics after cleaning them well with soap and water. And I sometimes decorate them with fingernail decals.

      Delete
  3. Lovely liquor table, Maureen! It looks great with the wallpaper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi, it was great fun to put together.

      Delete