Monday, April 12, 2021

Motivational Project for April

My motivational project for April is finishing the black and white living room.

The first thing is to make a fireplace for the centre of the back wall. For this, I'm using 1" thick builders' foam. It will got from floor to ceiling with a niche in the top portion to hold my Neil Carter bronze.

My late BIL gave me this hot wire cutter for cutting styrofoam but I've never been able to cut straight lines with it very well.

Then the light bulb went off! If I clamped two rulers (one on each side of the builders' foam), they would act as a guide for the hot wire. Worked beautifully.


I used the same method to cut the straight lines for the fireplace opening, then freehanded the curves.



I cut molding to go around the sides and front.


The  niche was a bit more difficult to cut out. It was pretty much a matter of digging it out bit by bit.


Added the molding/

Painted the entire piece white.



Added a piece of white cardboard across the back.


Tried it in place. It's too white and doesn't work with the wallpaper.



So I painted another piece of foam with an ivory paint. It looks much better with the wallpaper and yet it just softens the look.

So now I will repaint the whole piece with the ivory.

 

6 comments:

  1. What a great tool to have, Maureen. And the results look great. I hope you may be able to share some photos of your club T2T projects at some point in the future. Unfortunately I could not get the link you sent me to work and I would love to see some of the results. Hugs. - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS a great tool - especially now that I've learned to work with it.

      Delete
  2. Sin duda un tono más parecido al color de fondo de papel quedará mejor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. La pintura de marfil suavizó el aspecto lo suficiente como para que creo que se vea mucho mejor.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful job, Maureen! This is going to be a very lovely fireplace!!!

    ReplyDelete