Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Fireplace finished and in place

I over-painted the fireplace with the ivory paint and it softened the look enough that it worked against the wallpaper.

For the firebox, I used some plastic molded brick from Handley House. As you can see, I had to cut the back twice as the first didn't fit. I also cut another strip to go around the sides, top and bottom.


Here I've glued a piece of cardboard to the bottom of the fireplace so I can add the brick to the bottom and tile around it. I've clamped it in place to my large gluing jig for stability while I do that.

I have about 5 packages of these plastic tiles in my stash.

The bottom brick is in nd the first two tiles laid.


Here it is in place.

With the brick and tile in place. (The cardboard was trimmed and the raw edge painted with black marker.)

And with my Neil Carter bronze in place in the niche.

I can't believe what a beautiful, tight fit it is. Won't even have to glue it in place! So the wallpaper will remain intact if I ever decide to remove the fireplace.



 

4 comments:

  1. Great idea. May I asked where you purchased the tile? It seems to come in different scales which I need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got it at an Everything for a Dollar Store...but that was probably 8 to 10 years ago. The black tiles are 7/8" in square as are the large sort of khaki green ones. Then there are five each of yellow, dark khaki green and black ones that are 5/8" square, then eight khaki and eight yellow that are 5/16" square. So there are five packages of each, less the 7/8" square black ones that I used. So if what's left will work for you, let me know nd you can have them.

      Delete
  2. Muy bonito. La base queda muy bien.

    ReplyDelete