Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Scentimental Journey

 In June, 2009, I made this display for the perfume bottles I made back then. I was on a roll and needed a home for them. You can see more detail here.

Sometimes I like mirrored surfaces in some of my displays but they are almost impossible for me to photograph properly.

The glass shelves are 1" x 3" glass medical slides that I super glued to the back mirror.

I had it on display for 9 or 10 years, then I noticed that the glue had failed and the shelves had fallen down. Was running short of display room anyway so I just shoved it on a shelf in my workroom.

Came across it the other day and thought, "That's an easy fix - hour or two and it will be ready to display again". NOT!

So I took out the shelves, used my X-Acto blade to clean off all the glue from the slides and used nail polish remover to remove any glue residue. Then I cleaned the mirror with nail polish remover to remove any super glue that remained on the mirror.




NOW I had a problem. Originally I had put up the shelves (using Lego blocks as spacers) then added the perfume bottles. 

With the bottles on the shelves, I'll have a difficult time spacing them straight and equidistant.

Had originally thought I might just put up entirely new shelves, let them dry in place, then put the bottles on them. However, I had forgotten that the original slides have about a 3/4" strip of white paint on one end. It can be scraped off but it's time-consuming so don't think I'll go that route.

I think I've figured out how to re-mount the original shelves properly but am going to need to think on it overnight. Hopefully, it will work and today or tomorrow, the shop will once again be ready to display.

No comments:

Post a Comment