Thursday, April 6, 2023

Now it's beginning to take shape - the China Shop

Thanks, Jodie and Marilyn, for reminding me how lucky I am to have the choices I do. Appreciate your encouragement.

After some thought, I decided that the Landygo, as nice as it is, just isn't the setting for the china shop. Even though the top is open for viewing, there just aren't enough good lines of vision for something as detailed as a china shop.

So back to my stash....

This is one of a series of roomboxes that were made for the club before I joined. They come up for sale every so often and I try to buy them when I can. They're roughly 15 3/4" wide, 10" high and 11" deep. Perfect for almost any project.

The outside of this one is finished in a mottled green; it has a textured ceiling and a wood plank floor; and the walls are unpainted.

The floor is stained and scored into wood planks but the lines are not straight so I will be covering it.

My first move was to add a battery-operated LED light fixture (one of three my sister Shirley gave me some years ago). First a plastic plate is installed then the fixture clips into that.

Two coats of paint on the walls.


Covered the floor with grey marble matboard.

It's coming together. I've played a bit with the furniture possibilities. Won't be able to use the Wooton desk - it's just too big to work here. 

One thing I do plan on putting in is a high plate rail: a strip of crown moulding with a piece of strip wood along the top edge to hold plates in place. 

About the Wooton desk: I love this piece. I had wanted one for years so I was thrilled when I finally bought it. It is BIG - closed, it's 3 3/4" wide, 2 1/2" deep and 4 1/2" high. Open it is 7 1/2" wide and 2 3/4" deep. And that doesn't include the chair! So I think that this needs to be displayed in a separate shadow box.




 

1 comment:

  1. The roombox makeover looks great! The light fixture gives the room a real department store showroom feel which will be perfect for displaying all your lovely china!

    ReplyDelete