Sunday, February 26, 2023

Miniaturist Tom Brown and our M.E.E. workshop on Saturday

My timeline here is probably all messed up but I think I first heard of Tom when my friend, Tina MacDonald, went to Calgary and learned to glass blow miniature wine glasses from him. It was then I learned about his youtube channel , his 1:6 scale working kitchen, and his incredible food demonstrations.

You can learn even more about him here.

In any event, Tom was one of the contestants (along with Tina and Susan - both M.E.E. members) in the first series of Best in Miniature which is available on CBC Gem. (Sorry, but it's only available to Canadians.) 

For my Canadian followers, Best in Miniature Series 2 is now available on CBC on Sundays. The first two episodes have already been shown but I believe they are available on CBC Gem (free).

Anyway...yesterday he came up from Calgary and taught two classes of M.E.E. members how to blow miniature wine glasses. I did not take the class myself (just hosted it in my building and provided lunch) but I was in and out constantly during the day, saw parts of the class and can attest to the enthusiasm of the attendees.

If you've watched the videos linked in my introduction, these will be familiar.







The Swiss Army knives are absolutely unbelievable! The third knife from the right is incredible in itself BUT there is a smaller copy of it resting on the blade AND both knives have a working locking mechanism. 

This is Tom's 1:24 rendition of his kitchen~

I didn't take any pictures of the class itself but his students were very enthusiastic and pleased with his instruction. Some were even to make their wine glasses in the short time frame of the class.

I didn't :-(  get a picture of the working lava lamp that he has made but it's absolutely incredible. 

The most wonderful and skilled young man!

No comments:

Post a Comment