Friday, October 22, 2021

The bear and the traps....

Marijke asked about the bear and traps. 

Years ago, Leanne and Vern gave me a cabin (I think from Michaels). I liked it but didn't like the fact that the inside walls were smooth so I never did anything with it - except collect things to go in it.




What I've collected so far:
Snowshoes, water pump, boots, pots and pans, pillow, toque, pillow.
Cast iron stove, pail, big wash pan, mattress.
More pans, mittens, mugs. boots.

Wool socks, beaver pelt on stretcher, saddle bags, washboard, big pot, rifle and shotgun,.

Lots of lots and spare wood.

So I bought this one at the last estate sale. Closer to what I want.


But I didn't realize from the pictures that the roof needs a LOT of repairs as does the front door and window. I do like the fact that the roof extends way past the door and window to shelter them.

I'm hoping that I can repair the roof and make it removeable so the inside can be seen more than just through the windows...which are WAY too big for this construction so I'm hoping to add muntins so at least the windows won't be vast pieces of glass but smaller ones that at least will be more appropriate.

Anyway, that's where things stand at the moment. 

My first priority is to get a roof on the She shed so will get back to that.

6 comments:

  1. Oooh! I am really liking this, Maureen! I have always wanted to do something rustic like an original Hudson Bay Trading Post from the 1800s. This makes me start thinking about it again. Loo forward to seeing it progress. - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Dad's homestead cabin was a bit like this so looking forward to working on it...after the she-shed.

      Delete
  2. Seguro que conseguirás que esa preciosa cabaña se vea perfectamente por dentro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Isabel. Pasará un tiempo antes de que empiece a trabajar en ello, pero las ideas fluyen.

      Delete
  3. Both cabins are so much fun! And look at all the fun stuff you've collected for the project already! I just love unique structures like those!
    For the interior walls of the first cabin, you could maybe line the walls with horizontal strips of an affordable material to make it look like flat, milled logs, then put chinking in between. Then you'd have twin cabins to work on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good gracious, Jodi. I actually had the same idea about the first cabin's walls and even bought some wood expressly for that but if I haven't done it by now, it's never going to happen. Think I'll probably put the first one in our club garage sale. But she-shed first lol.

    ReplyDelete