Wednesday, September 18, 2019

My displays for this year's Show and Sale

It'll probably take me a week to get caught up with the events of the past week, but I'm going to start with the displays I took last Sunday.

I was actually surprised at how many projects I finished over the past year!

The first large one was Ann's kitchen. This was a gift to Ann Zvonkovic of Thyme to Celebrate Catering. Ann supplied evening meals to our mother during the last years of her life. She was kind enough to allow me to borrow it to display at the show.

The second roombox is a gift to Mirabel, the housekeeper in Mom's building. This one has not yet been delivered. In fact, it has not quite been completed but will be given to Mirabel within the next few months.

Here it is...


This is the card on the back of the room box...and it is in miniature on the mantlepiece in the finished room.

Finally got a battery for the clock so this room has a working clock!

Need fireplace tools for the scene. I have this partial set which I'll put in it eventually but for the display I've put in a set from another roombox in the meantime.

A couple oldies but goodies!

This is the memory box I made for my Mom for her 79th birthday in 2002. I had gone to Dallas, Texas, that year to visit our daughter who was living there at the time and  attended Dallas Mayfest, the first major miniature show I had ever attended. At the show, I picked up some wonderful Nutshell News magazines and found the inspiration for this from one of them. Each section represents another part of Mom's life.


(It was this time that I met Joanne and went the the summer MEE event at Judy Mitchell's - and the rest is history!)

About the same time, I made this smaller memory box for daughter, Leanne. Memories of different parts of her life also.




Because last year's club theme was "Miniatures in an unusual container", I displayed this again.

Cheryl H. from Fall River, NS, and I were travelling to Calgary for a "mini-weekend" with friends when we hit a major traffic jam. It took us about two hours to travel the 30 minutes from Red Deer to Bowden so we decided to pull off and stay in Bowden. When we got up in the morning, we found a wonderful town-sponsored garage sale in a house. Got several wonderful things, but one of the best was this pagoda shaped lamp. I took out all the works and made this beautiful oriental setting.




The bamboo plant is by Alice Zinn.




I was so fortunate to have this old Reutter storefront that I could use to display the jewellery I made in our Linda Austin workshop in March. Most of the jewellery was from that workshop but I did add a lot of my own pieces. The earring rack on the left was designed by Carol Jones of Victoria. It's made from a Mettler thread spool. The finished shop can be seen here.



This was both and"unusual container" and vignette.

The container is a Shiseido makup box that a friend picked up for me at a garage sale.

I bought the cranberry glass epergne at the Driving Miss Dolly in Red Deer two years ago, the bowl was from an Edmonton Show and Sale years ago, the furniture is from an estate sale and the painting is one that my DS Marie sent me.


I just loved this little piece so much that I had to display it.






2 comments: