Wednesday, November 3, 2021

The attic - the AHA moment.....

 Well, I started this attic in the fall of 2011. Last time I posted about it is here. (Actually pretty important to read that one as it explains why I'm doing this.) I just stalled on it because I had a drop light with a button battery and switch that I planned on dropping from the ceiling. I got so hung up on using that light that I couldn't install the drywall until I knew how I was going to do it. Every few months I'd take it out, puzzle over it awhile then put it away again.

Then last Tuesday, we had a club garage sale and I spotted a battery operated light that I knew was exactly what I needed! No need to figure out how to string the wiring through the studs, where to install the switch and hide the battery.

I had already cut nine sheets of drywall (matboard) and installed the first of them on the left hand wall and across the back under the window. Note: I did cheat on the left side and back by not installing the insulation and vapour barrier so I was able to just glue the drywall to the studs.

However, as part of the story for the grandchildren involves installing insulation, vapour barrier and drywall, the right hand wall had to have those three layers so that wall had to be nailed rather than glued.

My "drywall"
The first sheet on the right wall.

I didn't have proper nails the right length so I used  sequin pins. They were a bit too long so I cut about 1/8" off them. I then drilled a small hole with my pin vise and tapped the nail in the holes with a hammer.

SAFETY HINT: Anytime you need to cut something metal, hold what you are cutting and your wire cutters inside a paper bag so the cut bit will stay in the bag and not going flying into your eyes or skin.

I used a piece of typing paper to get the angle right on the second sheet of drywall. Transferred the angle to the matboard and cut it.


Here it's in place. I used the same technique on the third small piece on that wall. I did leave a little triangle uncovered on that wall so the insulation and vapour barrier could be seen.

I cut one piece of the drywall for the left side of the ceiling then did the same for the right side.

I dry-fitted a piece of typing paper above the window so make sure I got the angles right.

Here the drywall has been cut and glued in place.

Drywall is complete!

The shelving unit represents a shelving unit that Vern built in the garage of our second house.

The light is in place! It's first generation so not very bright but  it's in.



Now for the fun part - filling it. Have a lot of stuff but I'm sure I'll find that I don't have enough.

Then I have to write little stories about each item so Jonah and Holly will have some sense of their Grandpa Vern.

ASIDE: DD Leanne called yesterday morning (as she does every morning) and asked what I had been doing. Replied that I drywalled the attic, installed the light and hoped to start moving things into it. She very drily commented that she was glad she knew I was talking about miniatures because she knew it would sound a bit unusual for her 74 year old mother to be doing those things otherwise.

Although my own mother and maternal grandmother very well might have been doing that.
 




6 comments:

  1. This is such a fun project, Maureen! I am glad you found the solution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Una estupenda solución! tiene un aspecto fabuloso.
    Besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Pilar. Me estoy entusiasmando bastante con eso.

      Delete
  3. Has hecho un trabajo impresionante para colocar la luz!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gracias, Isabel. Ojalá hubiera pensado en esto hace 10 años.

    ReplyDelete