Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Nursery finished

Way back in April, I started work on a nursery for the daughter of a friend. Over the months I've sort of toyed with it but other than putting in the back wall haven't really worked on it.

Jess and her husband didn't want to know the sex of the child so that put some constraints on the project. All I knew was that they were planning on using grey in the room and they had to have a rocking chair.

So, until now, it's been one of those projects that you ponder over in your mind and maybe try a few things here and therel

Yesterday, with my cranberry glass vignette finally finished, I decided to get to work on this one.

Because it had to be gender-neutral, the pink trim and bows had to go.


Fortunately, they were stitched on and very lightly glued and came off easily.

At Driving Miss Dolly, I had picked up a couple metres of lace with blue, pink, green and yellow accents with this in mind.

But the other day, I spotted this white satin-look ribbon in my stash so decided to use it.

Here, I've glued it along the edge of the bassinet and held it in place with clothespins until the glue dried. Once that was done, I glued the remainder of the ribbon in place and held it until the glue took hold.

So one thing completed!

 The dresser:

The top of the dresser:
Kleenex box made from a cubic bead with a small piece of tissue glued in place; "Frosty the Snowman" book made by a Kelowna miniaturist, "Guess How Much I Love You" (maker unknown); and a piggy bank (a very early piece by Janice Crawley).

The rocking chair from Trineke, an afghan from my stash, a jointed teddy bear and "The Places You'll See" by Dr. Seuss.

The baby in the bassinet.

I wanted to add some colour to the room so I thought about maybe Sesame Street characters or Winnie the Pooh characters but the more I thought about it, decided on a rainbow. Opened a word document and inserted a rainbow, printed it on cardstock, cut it out and glued it to the back wall.


The change table:
The top has a pair of bootees (made from Bunka by my friend Cheryl H. from Nova Scotia) and a yellow rubber ducky that was originally a push pin. Middle shelf has two receiving blankets made from baby washcloths and a Pamper box from my stash. The bottom shelf has a Fisher Price telephone. (The telephone is really dated but it was in my stash and I love it. Ann will probably remember it but doubt that Jess will.)
 TIP: Baby washcloths (from Dollarama) are great for towels, especially. But they're a bit difficult to work with so I make a pattern in a word document (insert a shape and size it to what you what, print it out then tape it to the washcloth and cut along the tape). Then fold as required.

Originally, I had cut out a piece of grey sculptured carpeting for the room but since the floor was already grey and I got thinking - carpet is warm but it's also a germ catch-all so I decided to go with just the original floor.


I'm really looking forward to showing this to Mom tomorrow then delivering it to Ann.


No comments:

Post a Comment