Monday, September 23, 2019

MEE workshop Tuesday

We are probably one of the luckiest miniature clubs anywhere!

Many of our members have been doing miniatures for years. So we have a lot of old skills.

BUT some of our members are newer to miniatures and have have new skills and new tools!

And most are a mixture of both!

Most importantly, all are willing to share their knowledge!

Last Tuesday's workshop was a night stand taught by Jillian who is a wonderful instructor.

Jillian has a Cricut Maker and designed this wonderful piece on her phone and cut it out of matboard on the Cricut Maker.

That is a working drawer.

I bought two of the kits but have only made one so far. I won't do anything more at this point because I don't know what colour I will want to them to be. You could stain it, or paint it, or even colour it with markers. You can trim it with gold accents or decorate it with flowers or other things with fine tipped markers. So many possibilities.

Next month's workshop will be a vanity to match the night stands. That will be designed by Tina and will be made of wood and the pieces made on her laser cutter. (Tina's son, Fraser, has a 3-D printer so we also get his expertise.)

Jillian brought her Cricut Maker to the workshop and demonstrated its use. Carol K. also has a Cricut Maker and brought several examples of things she has made with hers.

Pictures by Teresa (used with permission - on file)

The petals and leaves of these roses were made on the CriCut Maker.

Gardening tools - Still need to be painted.
 This is my absolute favourite of the pieces Carol made. I'd buy this bird cage in a New York minute!


So we have an incredible amount of new technology available to our club in addition to all the old skills.

Barbara, who is a benefactor of the club over the past couple years, has donated a Cricut Maker to the club. This is in addition to the cash donations she has made to the Children's "Make and Take" Table at our annual show. We have been very blessed to have her support. Thank you, Barbara.

Couple personal things:

Now that I've caught up with the blog and have our Condo AGM tomorrow, it may be awhile before I get back to minis.

I have to get all the Show and Sale information together to pass on to my successor. Of course, I won't get away from it completely but need to have some backup.

My vision has deteriorated over the past couple months and, today, my optometrist advised me that my cataracts are 'ripe' and he is referring me to a cataract surgeon so I'm expecting that that will be in my near future.

I also have a trip to Ontario at the end of October to stay with my grandchildren while Sean and Julie go to Mexico with friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment