Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Trouble with Airport Security

Thanks to my dear friend, Joanne, I am the proud owner of a Lipstick Fairy made by Sue Ann (Ladybug) Thwait. I quite often keep it in my purse to show to people who aren't familiar with miniatures.

When I went through security at Edmonton International on my recent trip to Ontario to see my DS, DDIL and my grandchildren, they held my purse because there was something in it that they couldn't identify. The security officer and I went through everything I could think of with no success then he found the tube buried in the bottom of one pocket of my purse. The minute he pulled it out, I identified it immediately and he gave me permission to show him exactly what it was.





He acknowledged that it was quite unusual but suggested that I put it in my plastic bag with my liquids the next time I went through security. And I agreed.

So, on the way home, that's exactly what I did. OMG! Evidently it looks like a bullet! So the security officer doesn't let me show it to him and insists that he has to clear it with his superior before they decide whether to confiscate it. He goes to his superior then motions me over and I explain what it is. They do allow me to keep it but only after telling me they could have confiscated it because it looked like a bullet and giving me examples of items they had confiscated simply because they "looked" like contraband such as a gun-shaped soap.

I guess I will not be travelling by air with this again.

6 comments:

  1. Oh boy. How many women have had their lipstick confiscated on the way to a wedding because of the shape of the tube?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all depends on who you get and their mood that day.
      Maureen

      Delete
  2. I just DON'T understand why Airport security insists on behaving in ways that are so downright DUMB!?
    I once went through security with a toothpaste tube which was 99.9% used up and they still confiscated it because the label on the used up and totally flattened packaging read "150 ml's"- I couldn't believe it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's in their training (or lack thereof). Let's face it - common sense isn't so common anymore.
      But I suppose, in their defense, we haven't seen/dealt with what they have to everyday.

      Delete
  3. ¡Menos mal que no lo confiscaron,hubiese sido una pena!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Me hubiera quedado devastado si lo hubieran confiscado, pero tuve la suerte de que no lo hubieran hecho.

      Delete