Sunday, June 30, 2019

Oh, Look, a Book (or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5.....)

Saturday night, I started to clean out some of the books in the two bookshelves in my bedroom. Got off to a fairly good start...then I found a couple books that caught my eye.



The first was "A Boy Called Hopeless by M.J." by David Melton Copyright 1977. I hadn't read it before but it drew me in from the first page. The boy was Jeremiah, M.J.'s youngest brother who was born with brain damage. It was the story of the family's work with patterning to bring him back to "normal". I could not put it down. It's a novel but was based on a number of true stories.

Then I came across "Needham's Inferno", a collection of columns written by Richard Needham of the Globe and Mail in the early 1960s. I was a huge fan at that time and attended a dinner party with him at the University of Alberta. Enjoyed a couple columns on re-reading but not a big fan now.

Today, I thought I would get a lot of cleaning done BUT saw a book on bookbub.com that caught my eye. SHOOT!!! I usual know when the book is a stand-alone and skip it when it's part of a series that I have to pay to read the rest.  This time it didn't work. So I am now reading the 3rd book in this series and have one left to go.

Hopefully tomorrow I will start mini-ing.

6 comments:

  1. Reading an engrossing novel is one of my Very Favourite things to do, too!
    I , like you, find that it is refreshing and necessary change of pace and good for the brain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books just open up whole new worlds to us, don't they? I'm lucky that we have a great, extensive library in our condo and a wonderful public library in St. Albert.

      Delete
  2. A mi también me encanta leer. Aunque a veces prefiero no empezar un libro porque se que no puedo parar hasta que no lo termino.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Lo sé. Tengo varios estantes de libros que disfruto releyendo, así que a veces por la noche, comenzaré a releer uno de ellos ya que están lo suficientemente familiarizados como para dejarlos. O a veces, tengo un montón de viejas revistas de Nutshell News junto a mi cama y las miro antes de irme a dormir.

      Delete
  3. I love to reread the books I have. Though there are a few authors I'll buy even in hardback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My DS and DDIL used to get me Diana Gabaldon's books when they came out. I loved reading them but prefer paperbacks because hardcovers are just so heavy! LOL

      Delete