Monday, August 13, 2018

M.E.E. Summer Field Trip

On Wednesday, August 8, some members met at West Edmonton Mall to check out a few stores that Sunni and Teresa had checked out ahead of time then for lunch at the Old Spaghetti Factory.

Due to a communication problem, Joanne and I only checked out Oomomo, the Japanese $3 store. It has a lot of things of interest to miniaturists including some nice plastic display pieces and LOTS of wonderful nail art that works in both 1:12 and 1:48 scale.

I only picked up two things:

This 1/4" hole punch is really well made and has a movable guard that catches the punched pieces. My old punch is worn out.

This etched glass globe is 2 1/2" tall and quite lovely. Although my relatives in New Zealand would be disappointed to know that New Zealand is not on it.  ;-(  Only shows the continents!
In 2003, DD Leanne was living in Dallas, Texas, and I flew down to spend some time with her. My trip coincided with Dallas MayFest so I was able to attend my first major miniature show! One of the classes was a large group class where we made this Birthday party scene in a pocket watch.

It's normally kept in one of my display cabinets but occasionally I wear it as a necklace to give people an idea of what I do as a miniaturist....which I did on Wednesday. When I bought the globe at Oomomo, the sales clerk noticed and commented on it. That gave me the opportunity to tell her that I was buying the globe as a dollhouse miniature. She was quite impressed.

When those of us who were able to attend met up at the Old Spaghetti Factory, we had a good time catching up. Good time!

No comments:

Post a Comment