Monday, August 6, 2018

A little vignette for me

I knew I wanted to use the red satin Shiseido box that my friend Wendy found for me in the freebie box at a garage sale to highlight a couple of the cranberry glass pieces that I have.

8 1/8" high, 7 1/16 wide and 3 1/2" deep
I needed to make a "floor" that would be even with the  bottom of the front opening of the space. So to get the curve right, I drew a line along the front edge of the container.


Then I took that piece and fit it inside the front part of the container.

Took another piece of paper to match the back half of the container...and patched them together.
  


Dry-fitted them then glued them to a piece of matboard and cut it out.

Then I put a 1/2" piece of foamcore in the bottom of the piece to bring the floor up to the bottom of the opening.


Dry fit it once again.

Took that piece to Craft night in the building where I covered it with strips of cherry flooring with wood glue.

Trimmed it all around. Then coated it with J.W. etc. matte varnish. When that was dry, I put it under two of my favourite books for this purpose to flatten it.

When I first took it from under the books, it was still a bit warped so I varnished the back and left it to dry again and that seemed to do the trick and leave it flat.

In the meantime, I used carpet tape to apply the wallpaper to the sides of front of the piece.




I fitted a piece of the RL wallpaper that I had chosen to the back of the room then I put a piece of carpet tape across the top of the back.

I really like the double-sided carpet tape for attaching wallpaper but it's a touchy thing...you really have to be careful to get it right...but when you do, it's perfect!

Here's the carpet tape in place at the top of the back part of the vignette.

Here, the wallpaper has been attached at the bottom and the sides!

NOW! Floor in place...

Clamping it down!


Then to dress it...

The pieces I want to display are the triune cranberry glass vase, the triple brass candleholders and the cranberry glass bowl. I got the brass candleholders from an estate sale and although they were in original packaging, one of the candles was missing. I have Chrysnbon candles but they are fatter and shorter so I so for now I'll leave the shortest candlestick empty. At some point, I'll try to make a matching candle to fit there.

My first thought was to go with this cabinetl I love the shape of this one but it has a crack in the top of the piece.

So I thought to go with this one...

I like it but, on looking at it, thought I needed to reverse the order of the candles. Like this much more.

Had thought about putting this mirror above the sideboard...until I moved it into the box itself...WAY too high and WAY too big.





Now, maybe I don't need anything else...

BUT even with the crack in the top, I still like the original sideboard..

Have to think on this..........

No comments:

Post a Comment