Wednesday, January 9, 2013

knitting, quilting

I'm totally in awe of the work that the women who attend Tuesday night "Stitch and Bitch" do. I'm really going to miss attending when MEE gets back to its normal schedule after our Christmas break.

They do the most incredible knitting, needlepoint and quilting in RL that I couldn't begin to think of doing.

I have never quilted or needlepointed and my knitting is incredibly limited to a couple stitches that work for me in miniature.

So I was extremely pleased last night to be able to explain this "pattern" to Catherine.

It is originally a dishcloth pattern - which was what she was looking for - but I knew it as a miniature pattern for a shawl - or a pattern for a square blanket - if that works for you.

This shawl is knit with thread and is 4" x 4" by 6"

Here is the old diagonal knit dishcloth pattern as a possible
pattern for a shawl. It is simple and looks nice, with an eyelet edging.

Cast on 4 stitches.
Knit 4.
Every row (increasing) thereafter: Knit 2, yarn over, knit to end.

If you are making a shawl, then when the widest part is the size you need it to be, cast off.

If you are making a blanket, remember this is done diagonally so you are knitting from a corner up to the midline, when one of the sides is as long as you wish the whole blanket to be, then begin the decrease rows -
Knit 1, Knit 2 together, yarn over, Knit 2 together. Continue this until there 
are 4 stitches left. Knit 2 tog 2 x and then bind off.

One of my treasured pieces is this pieced quilt that  I bought at the last Winnipeg MB Gathering.




I won't be using it in the Quilt Shop but I have some 'faux' pieces that I'll try.

These are three of the four "faux" quilt pieces that I will use. (The fourth is tucked away somewhere safe VBG).


I also hope to use copies of table runners and placemats that DS Carol and DF Pamela have made me as wall accents.

No comments:

Post a Comment