Sunday, January 20, 2013

Back to the attic

Joanne spent most of yesterday working on her attic and she hates building even more than I do so I decided I better get cracking and work on mine today.

You may recall that on Tuesday, I put studs on the left hand wall using pieces of styrofoam to space them the equivalent of 18" on centre.

One of the concerns that arose from our brainstorming session on Tuesday was how narrow the wood was that is to be attached to the roof.

With that in mind, I cut back the top of the studs 1/4" and glued on a 1/4" x 1/4" beam across the top of the left side wall. Then to keep it more realistic, I also cut off the bottom of the studs and installed a sole plate below the studs.

(The studs were all  1/8" thick basswood cut into 1/4" wide strips then cut to fit.)

The back and right hand walls had the top and bottom plates installed first - then the studs were put in place.

Once the walls were finished, I added a 1/4" square beam across the top of the front and (with the attic on its side) weighed it in place until the glue dried.

Here it is:

The beam at the top front pulled everything together and all the walls are at right angles.

Tomorrow I'll attach the roof and install the studs. Backward to RL, I know, but in miniature you get to take liberties. LOL

Then I'll need to put the siding on the gable and glue it in place.

Thanks, Joanne, for giving me the 'kick in the butt' I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment