Friday, August 10, 2012

I love it when a plan starts to come together

I was sitting and stewing last night about how I was going to put this thing together. Thought a starting point might be to dig out my Art bulletin board. Good idea. There are some pictures by Karen Bainbridge that I can use and quite a few empty frames that might work.


And I found this painting of Peggy's Cove and a frame for it. I trimmed it to fit the frame. Not happy with the bit of mat board showing at the bottom of the picture but the artist's signature is on the back in that spot.

Then I remembered this great painting on slate by Sherry Parker (another CMHH piece). I stole it from the Serendipity Shop. I'll try to get a better picture of it later.

I took one of the glass pieces from the glass shop on the Cabot Trail and painted it with black glass stain.

The base was made from two pieces of 1/4" x 1" x 1" balsa. I cut out a section of the top piece to take the bottom of the glass.
 Then glued the two pieces together,

 Sanded it smooth with rounded corners,

And coated it with gesso.

 When the gesso was dry, I sanded it,
  
 Glued in the glass piece and finished painting the bottom of the glass piece and the base.

Here I've painted another of the glass pieces with red glass stain.

When I went to bed last night, the ideas just kept coming and when I woke up this morning, they were still coming! Oh, I'm on a roll!

The hotel where we hold the Edmonton Show and Sale has a great metal sculpture wall hanging that I've always wanted to duplicate in mini but unfortunately I lost the pictures of it when my computer crashed. In the process of looking for it, I found a picture of an Art Gallery Lorry had done for the 2010 Show. That gave me some more display ideas.

I showed you previously the cake pillars I thought would work in the gallery but they're too big and overwhelm anything I want to display.

Then I remembered the display table I had made from the McFlurry spoon. That should work well.

My biggest problem is finding a way to display the red glass piece. But I'm thinking the table base made from the pastry cutter might be perfect. Have to dig it out and decide what sort of top to use - glass, mirror or agate slice.




No comments:

Post a Comment