Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Finished!

The bar room is finished!

Got the foot rail on the bar. I tried making the supports from wood but that didn't work as the wood split so I cut them from mat board and drilled holes through them.


Then I stained them to match the wood.

Put a skinny skewer painted with my gold Pilot pen through the support holes and glued the supports to the bar.


There are probably a few more little things I will eventually think of to add to this but for now I'm declaring it finished. All the furniture is glued in place.

In May of last year when I finished the detective's office which is set in the 40s, my intention was to do the bar below as a friendly neighbourhood bar during the war years. Had a "Careless Talk Brings Tragedy in Wartime" poster to go above the telephone and planned on hanging a map of Europe and pictures of all my family members who served in the Armed Forces on the walls.

But if I went that route then I had to figure out how to deal with liquor rationing, etc. And the brass foot rail would have been lost to a scrap drive...so I decided against that idea.

So here's the finished set of rooms:

Pictures of the entire project from beginning to end can be seen here.

Still need to get two pieces of plexiglass to cover the fronts of the rooms.

8 comments:

  1. Love it Maureen. Another work of art! Yeah. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very very nice wish I could see more up close

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Chris. If there's anything I can post a picture of that you want to see closer, let me know and I'll see what I can do.
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Maureen! So glad you posted the detectives office as well! Another outstanding effort in re-creating a scene as it would have been...Hugs, J xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jazzi. It was really weird how that stupid bar counter eluded me for almost a year. It just wouldn't come - then one night I started cutting out the wood and it came together the next day. LOL
      Hugs, Maureen

      Delete