Sunday, November 27, 2011

Secret project, Finally some progress on the Bombay house

Over the past week I've been working on a project for a young miniaturist I met last weekend. It's to be part of a Christmas gift from family members so I'm not going to blog about it until after Christmas. I've had such fun putting it together!

I finally got working on the hardwood floor for the living/dining room of the Bombay house.

I cut a piece of poster board the size of the floor and ironed on strips of red oak edgebanding.

This stuff is great to work with. I cut 16 strips just a tad longer than the length of the  poster board and ironed it on one strip at a time. It's very forgiving. If you see a gap between strips, you can move the strip while the adhesive is still hot - or if you goof (one piece didn't reach the end of the poster board), you simply run the iron over that strip to loosen the adhesive and pull it up and move it. Once all  the adhesive had cooled, I trimmed any overhangs with my knife.

Yippee! Perfect fit!

It still needs to be sanded. I really like the colour as is so am debating whether or not to stain it. If I leave it (or for that matter if I stain it), I'd like to give it a nice finish with paste wax but haven't been able to find any. Once it's finished , I'll have to figure out approximately where I want the floor lamp in the living room because I want to run that cord through the floor and under the flooring. Once that's taken care of, I'll be able to tape it down with carpet tape.

The flooring in the kitchen runs in the opposite direction so I'll be redoing it.

Still trying to decide how to handle installing the stairs...

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for doing this blog on floors, I am a little stuck right now and this is an idea I am definitely going to try!