Sunday, May 1, 2011

Yet another UFO on the horizon

Last Saturday DD Leanne and I made a very quick trip down to Calgary to see the Titanic exhibit .

Leanne is a huge Titanic fan as am I, although to a slightly lesser degree. One of the features of the exhibit is getting a boarding pass as you enter. This has the name of an actual Titanic passenger and you find out at the end of the tour if your passenger survived the sinking. (We looked at ours and we immediately knew I didn't survive and she did.)

My passenger was Mrs. Isidor Straus. (He was an owner of Macy's Department Store in New York City.) From Wikipedia: On the night of the sinking, Isidor and Ida Straus were seen standing near Lifeboat No. 8 in the company of Mrs. Straus's maid, Ellen Bird. Although the officer in charge of the lifeboat was willing to allow the elderly couple to board the lifeboat with Miss Bird, Isidor Straus refused to go so as long as there were women still remaining on the ship. He urged his wife to board, but she refused, saying, "We have lived together for many years. Where you go, I go." Her words were witnessed by those already in Lifeboat No. 8 as well as many others who were on the boat deck at the time. Isidor and Ida Straus were last seen alive sitting together quietly on deck chairs on Titanic's boat deck when a huge wave washed over them.


Their first class stateroom (Cabins C55/57) is well-documented and I hope to make it in miniature some time in the future. (A long way into the future. VBG)

2 comments:

  1. I am so pleased to see you are blogging now! Very interesting reading it all today . I will enjoy watching your room box evolve. And your Tuts are always great too. Judy L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Judy. I'm really enjoying this...and it 'encourages' me to mini at least a little each day!
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete