Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Music room lighting

Looking at my schedule for this week, I think I was overly optimistic about finishing the music room by the end of the week.

I did gather the materials that I think I'll be using for the pendant light (or lights).

First of all, I know I'll be using half of a table tennis ball for the shade.

My first thought was to use the white plastic (hollow) drink stirrers to hang the light but them I remembered the hollow brass rods from my stash. Also found a square piece of hollow brass but think I'll go with the round.

This is one of the LED light kits I bought from Liz. Lower left you can see where I've fed the wires through one of the drink stirrers.

I bought these wonderful brass decorative strips at Chicago International and am looking forward to using them somehow/somewhere.

I got these wonderful retro lamps in one of the club give-aways from a former member. The shades were originally an off-white but quite some time ago I painted them with red glass stain thinking I would use them in another project. I'm rewiring them with one of the LED kits from Liz.
 Tonight was 'Stitch and Bitch' in the condo and I cut one of the table tennis bulbs in half for the lamp shade. I didn't have a glue that could be used in the amenity room so wasn't able to attach the strip of the decorative brass around the lower edge. (I tried Weldbond but it didn't work!)

I tried "thistothat.com" but it wasn't a help in this case but I know I will find a solution in the 15-odd adhesives I have in my stash. (Couldn't have used any of them at S&B since they need good ventilation.

This isn't put together yet but I've 'posed' it so you can get an idea what the ceiling hanging lamp will look like when I finally figure out how to put it together.

Since I wasn't too sure I would be able to make too much progress on the light tonight, I had cut a piece of basswood (1 1/2" x 3 1/2") for a coffee table top. I 'painted' it with black marker then glued the brass musical pieces to it. I'll give it several coats of gloss varnish.

Still not too sure how I will finally finish it...debating trimming the edge with the same brass trim I'll be using on the pendant lamp. Haven't yet decided whether to go with legs from the square brass piece above or square strip wood. (The violin needs to be moved a bit to the right but that's certainly do-able at this point.)

Must tell you:

Once I got really thinking about the logistics of lighting this project, I realized that I wanted to use more two-light LED kits but I had only ordered/received one two-light and two four-light kits from Liz.

So Sunday night, I frantically e-mailed Liz at Grandpa's Dollhouse and ordered three more two-light LED kits...."not in stock"....but Liz performed her incredible magic and created them for me and her DH Wayne got them to the post office on Monday.

If this isn't finished soon, it will NOT be because I don't have the supplies! Thanks Liz and Wayne!

No comments:

Post a Comment