Well, this is where we left the cash register...
TIP: When making up a printie, I usually glue some coins/washers (pennies are good since they're not used in Canada anymore) inside to give it some weight.
TIP: Above you can see the black lines where the folds are. You can generally get rid of these by lightly sanding along the line with a fine emery board.
It worked reasonably well here then I got the bright idea to varnish the body of the cash register to give it a nicer, more realistic finish. BIG mistake. I've done this sucessfully many times in the past but this time I ended up with a weird finish AND it warped the portion on the lower left of the top.
Since it was already ruined, I experimented on the keys with clear dimensional embellishment to give them some dimension. First I tried the pen versions (which come in colours). Wasn't too pleased with that so experimented with the bottled version.
So started over with (again) one cardstock and one paper copy of the printie. This time I got smart and cut the cash register slip from the paper copy first , cut a slit in the cardstock copy and glued the paper copy in place before assembling the cardstock printie. Lightly sanded the edges to minimize the black fold lines. Then I used the Glossy Accents to give the monitor screen and cash register keys dimension. I really think these touches bring the printie up a notch. (It looks SO good in person.)
So I put the completed piece on the counter and it fits perfectly on the 'glass' portion of the counter BUT it's too low and the cash drawer won't open. SHEESH! This was supposed to be a really quick item to make.
Fortunately, it's a quick fix! Check my scrap wood drawer and find a scrap that only requires one cut to fit perfectly on the base of the cash register. Paint it grey and glue it to the bottom of the cash register.
Plate Rail: I had a small piece of dentil molding left over from a very old project so I took it and added a square strip of wood to the top of it to make a plate rail.
Checked with This to That to see what I should use to glue the molding to the mirror on the back wall and discovered that the second choice would be Weldbond which was convenient as it's my glue of choice for most things. I measured down from the top of the back of the room and used a strip of masking tape to mark where the plate rail needed to go.
The tape has been removed so I'm trying a couple item placements.
I don't have room for even 1/10th of the stuff I've collected for this project.......