Sunday, January 19, 2014

Roomboxes and Miniature settings

I went down to the "Put and Take" this afternoon and there was a wonderful old approximately 15" diameter world globe there.
Not the same one - but similar.
It's at least 40 years old so I can't imagine anyone taking it...but I could just visualise cutting a rectangle in the face of it and building a foam core roombox in it....

BUT I can't visualize what might be in the room...for me...perhaps a scene from some home country or a small museum from a country such as Egypt.???

So many possibilities....but none are coming to me personally...

So, for once, I was able to say "no". (If you're in the Edmonton area and this is speaking to you, please e-mail me and I'll snag it for you. The woman who donated it would love to see it used in some way. She was quite interested when I told her I could visualize a scene set in it!)

That's an unusual one but this is more accessible:

I first saw this use of a night stand drawer at a dealer's table at our Edmonton Show and Sale (think it was Myrt and Bill Smeaton but I could be wrong). Have seen it since in the miniature roomboxes that we silent-auctioned off from Joyce Buchanon's roomboxes....

One of the advantages/disadvantages of hosting MDO is that people bring a lot of "giveaways" and, somehow, I seem to get stuck with the leftovers.

This one, fortunately,was a drawer was filled with incredible pieces of hardwood: walnut, rosewood, and several other pieces of hardwood whose names I didn't recognize. (They were pieces that no one wanted and would have been too expensive to ship to anyone I knew so I packed them up and took them next door to the woodworking shop in my Mom's condo.) Anyway, they were stored in a night stand drawer that I recognized immediately as a roombox


This inner measurements of this  particular drawer are 11 1/8" wide x 10 1/2" high and 6 13/16" deep. (The handle on top is a bonus!

Could be a great roombox for the oriental room that Barb is hoping to do with her DD Vicky! She gets first dibs but if anyone else is interested, let me know.

2 comments:

  1. This drawer has a whole lot of potential Maureen and I love the height and depth of it. The possibilities of what it could be, are seemingly endless. I am sure that whoever takes up the challenge will have fun making something really special in it.

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Elizabeth, this one is a nice size. I just checkout the drawers in my nightstands and they would work well as roomboxes too. When garage sale season hits, it might be a good time to be on the lookout for some of these LOL.

      Delete