Thursday, October 17, 2013


(I'm working on a possible tutorial that takes a LOT of waiting time....good or bad, I should have it available tomorrow night.)

A while back, I showed you how to make the marshmallow/weiner sticks. While Joanne and I did Arts Day at Leo Nickerson School, I made about 40 of these!

from Dollarama a couple years ago
If this had been fresh, I think it would have been ideal to make the marshmallows by simply rolling the clay into a snake and slicing it to make them.

Why didn't I use Fimo or Sculpey you ask? I do have Sculpey but I don't use it unless I have absolutely no other option. The other reason is that when this dries, it still has the feel of marshmallows - a bit squishy.

So, using an X-Acto knife, I cut a strip of the clay about 1/8" thick and used this hole punch set I bought at Dollarama a few years ago and cut marshmallows from that strip. Pretty labour-intensive as after every marshmallow was cut I had to unscrew the punch from the handle and use the flat end of a barbecue skewer to push out the 'marshmallow'. Eventually, I just used the punch by hand but it still took some time.

So I thought I would try something else.  I had some white fun foam so I thought I would try gluing two layers of that together with this "Hold the Foam" glue that I bought in Las Vegas.

So far, I've let the glue set for over an hour but it still is not holding so I'll try it again tomorrow. If I can get a permanent adhesion, I think the tool below will work.

This is a punch that somehow ended up in my tools...think it's meant for leather...It has been cutting well through the layers of foam but they separate in the process. One advantage of this one is that to release the foam, I can simply run a toothpick through the opposite punch.

If the double layer of foam doesn't work, maybe I'll go back to slices of the air dry clay and try using this punch. I think there's a bit that's fresh enough for this to work.

I don't care so much about having enough marshmallows for the 'sticks' but I do want to have enough for a bag of marshmallows...even though I'm not planning on doing the trailer for the Campsite, I may end up doing a tent camping scene.

I hope that although this is more about what "didn't " work that it will be helpful.

Sometimes you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find the prince...

No comments:

Post a Comment