Thursday, October 20, 2011

Time flies

Sometimes the time you allot for a simple task just doesn't fit...

My 'to-do' list for the next few days until I leave for Ontario is a mile long so I decided that one thing I could get done and off the list was mailing some beads to fellow miniaturists.

One of my online miniature groups is Canada Minis. Each fall we have a Pass It On Challenge where you share miniature items with other members of the group. These are things that you might have too many of or that you bought for a project then decided not to use or sometimes things that you make that you want to share.

When I was at Bedrock Supply, I picked up a bag of very tiny seed beads (25 beads to the inch) in their clearance bin. Great deal - about 20 14" strings of beads for $3.00! So I offered several strings up on the PIOC and had to get them in the mail to the lucky winners.

Then the fun began. When the beads were packaged, about ten strings were put together and the ends tied in a knot.

Well, there was no way I could get that blinking knot untied to separate the strands of beads. So I thought I'd just get a needle and run a second thread through each strand then cut away the original thread. But the beads are too small for anything but a beading needle - and I couldn't find mine. Now what?!

So I dug around and found a spool of fine wire and restrung the beads on that. Worked well enough but took forever to do - the first string took darn near an hour! Fortunately the next three went faster each strand. But what I thought would take 10 - 15 minutes ended up taking about three hours!

All to get ONE thing crossed off the 'to-do' list.

So I said to heck with the list and went out to the library with Joanne to hear Gail Bowen, author of the mystery book series featuring Joanne Kilbourn, speak as part of STARFest (St. Albert Readers Festival). Had a wonderful evening filled with laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment