Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Roomboxes and vignettes given as gifts over the years

A friend and I were talking last week about the minis I had made for other people and I said I had no idea how many there had been. So I sat down and made a list.

Although I've been doing minis since about 1980, they weren't a huge thing in my life until about 1995. My first gift was to my sister, Marie, and was a wall hung nursery to commemorate the birth of one of their boys. I don't have a picture of it but looking back it was pretty primitive.

The next was a gift for my mother to celebrate her 79th birthday in 2002.

For years, my DS Carol and I took our children camping in the summers. In memory of those days, I made her this camping scene.

After 14 years at W. D. Cuts, inn August of 2003, I began working at Sir George Simpson School where I worked until my retirement at the end of March, 2007. While there, I made. as gifts. four Christmas vignettes (as part of Secret Santa); at least two decade birthday vignettes, three retirement/leaving vignettes, and a roombox for our vice-principal, Dennis, who was on sick leave with cancer.

In 2005, I made a miniature of his office for the vice-principal at W. D. Cuts School in honour of his retirement.. That was an early attempt at a "replica" of a room.

Because of Gerry's office vignette, his daughter, Andrea, asked me to display miniatures at Leo Nickerson School for several years at Art Days. In addition, she asked me for a donation to a silent auction at the school. As my donation, I made a miniature of her art room. I won my first ribbon at the Show and Sale with this one! Really pleased with it. Andrea bought it at the silent auction and Joanne and I always displayed it at Art Days. It was so much fun to see the students look at it then say, "Oh, my. That's our art room!"

As part of Arts Day, I have also donated at least two rooms that students could enter in a draw for: 

Along the same line, I made a https://stalbertmini.blogspot.com/2012/02/finishing-touch-to-scrapbook-vignette.htmlfor a silent auction by Glenora Childcare Society where DD Leanne worked at the time.

More to come tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment