Friday, August 23, 2019

Faux books. Adding to my stash!?!?

What the heck am I thinking?

Awhile back, I think I mentioned that I had cleaned out the bookshelves  in my bedroom (got down to one). Many went to our building's library and some to the Put and Take. Some were so old that there was no place to put them so I tore off the covers, put the pages in recycling and used the covers to make faux books.

Thank you, Dick Tabor, for giving me this idea.

Here are some of the book covers...


This is the edge of one of the covers:

And here I have put my ruler about 1/2" from the edge:

I've used my utility knife to cut that off:

Then I used my Easy-Cutter to clip off the edge of that piece:

And used the Easy-Cutter to clip off 5/8" to  3/4" pieces from the remaining strip.



This is a collection of the "books" I cut:

And now here are some of them on a bookshelf!

Being the avid reader that I am,  I want LOTS of books in my scenes.  This "trick" from Dick enables me to have lots of faux books in shelves.

I can still have some of my own printable books  plus some others from Barbara Brear in South Africa and some from LeeAnn Borgia.

I love my books!

4 comments:

  1. I agree, Maureen. What a great way to fill in our bookshelves, allowing us to add a few of our hand made books among them. Thanks for sharing. - Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn,
      In my December 3, 2018, post http://stalbertmini.blogspot.com/2018/12/paint-mee-christmas-exchange-gift.html
      you can see how I took 10 of the faux books and decorated them to make a set of books.
      Maureen

      Delete
  2. This was a Wonderful little tutorial on how to recycle book covers and transform them in to mini books- LOVED IT!
    I especially liked how you used the EZ Cutter to cut the various strips down to size: Perfect for achieving a good clean cut, which I think is Brilliant Maureen, so
    Many Thanks for these Very Useful tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. These are such fun to make - especially if you have a good selection of book covers to work with. I will have about 20 books covers left so I won't have any shortage of books for my scenes. LOL!
      Maureen

      Delete