Friday, June 7, 2019

How long will it be...

before I look out my balcony and not expect to see a light from my Mom's apartment?

I know she's not there anymore and we've pretty well cleaned it out except for the things that friends and charities will take. But still...

My dear Mom passed at 3:30 a.m., June 3, 2019. As she had wanted/insisted, she died at home with her daughters surrounding her with love.

I started to write a loonnng biography but erased it all as the only things that are important are:

She married Dad in 1941 and had a wonderful marriage until he died in 2000.

She served her country during WWII as a CWAC.

She and Dad had four daughters who loved them both very much and were loved back in return.

Until three years ago when she had a stroke, Mom was the most incredibly active person. She would think nothing of walking up to Superstore or down to WalMart...several kilometers either way.

She took a turn for the worse about three weeks ago. We thought she might recover as she has so often after the initial stroke but this time it was not to be.

When we realized that things were so bad, Carol and Marie came out and all of us were with her 24/7 until she passed (with support from Marie's husband, Bob, and my daughter, Leanne).

After she passed and while we were all here, we shared all her belongings and cleared out her apartment. All that is left are the things that are waiting to be picked up by friends and charities.

Now we just have to deal with the pieces of our hearts that are so broken.



8 comments:

  1. I honestly know what you and your sisters are going through. My thoughts are with you and your family----Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went through the same thing myself 3 years ago, Maureen so I understand your "broken pieces".
    It know that it was comforting to your mother to have all of her daughters there at her bedside in her final hours, and that your love for her and her's for her family, is a Beautiful Legacy, because "Love Never Fails and Endures Forever".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. I was truly blessed to have her in my life for 72 years. Not many daughters are that fortunate.

      Delete
  3. So sorry for your loss. Please accept my sincere condolences.
    A warm hug,
    Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Drora, for your thoughts and the hug. Appreciate it.
      Hugs back to you.
      Maureen

      Delete