Saturday, May 18, 2019

Today's workshop - what fun! Personal note.

My friend, Marijke, is a wonderful miniaturist who lives in New Brunswick and writes a blog Pulcinella's Cellar Miniatures. I met her years ago at Camp Mini HaHa and we've kept in touch over the years. She was here a couple years ago and came for coffee at my place to meet some fellow miniaturists.

Now all three of her and Chris's children are living in Alberta so they are here on a visit. When I learned about the trip, I asked her if she would be willing to teach a class on DAS air drying clay while she was here. And she agreed.

Unfortunately, because it's a long weekend, many club members were unable to attend but those who did had a wonderful day and learned a lot.

Joanne, Cheryl and I shared a table.

Chris set up a laptop and monitor playing a loop of some of Marijke's  work for us to enjoy. Here Marijke is pointing something out to Joanne.

This is the sheet of bricks that I made.

Joanne working on her bricks.

Tina finished her 1" scale bricks then made this incredible pathway of bricks in 1:48 scale for a project she is working on.


More brickwork:




Rosalle of Needlecraft Art does the loveliest crochet work including plant hangers. She can no longer find pots for her hangers so she wanted to make pots to fit them....and she did.


I had to leave for awhile to visit my Mom and when I returned, Sunni, Marijke and I had a great conversation about miniaturists Marijke and I had met through Camp Mini HaHa. Then at the end of the day, Joanne and I spent some time in my condo with Marijke visiting and looking at some of my recent projects.

The miniaturists who attended thanked Marijke with some wonderful gifts of appreciation. To share with her club, I gave her a number of the eyeglasses that Jillian had made. (I know 3 of the 4 members of the club personally.)  I also gave her free rein to choose what she could use from my "Toy" bulletin board as she is planning a toy shop.

It was just a really enjoyable day. Thank you so much, Marijke and Chris, and the club members who attended.

On a personal note: I know I said I would tell you about turning that ugly piece of upholstered furniture into a beautiful leather piece of furniture.

We had to take my 95 year old mother to emergency care Wednesday night. Didn't get home until 6 a.m. then had to be back at 8:30 a.m..to talk to the attending. We brought her home Friday afternoon so I've been sleepless for a few days.

Will try to get caught up soon.

6 comments:

  1. HI Maureen. So glad you and Marijke had such fun together with your mini group. Before she left for her visit to Alberta she mentioned she would be providing a workshop for your group. I automatically thought it would be a flower-making workshop since she makes the most incredible plants and flowers. But then again, she also make fabulous food, wonderful buildings and scenery....yes, we are truly lucky to have such an experienced and talented artist in our group. And she is always so generous with her time and assistance. I'm sure she really enjoyed her day with your group as much as you enjoyed having her! - Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Marilyn. I thought I had replied to you earlier...just now realized I hadn't.
      What a wonderful mini-world we belong to that Marijke was here to share that one of her skills with us.
      And that I'm so fortunate to know three of the four of your mini club!
      Maureen

      Delete
  2. Es fantástico disponer de un grupo y compartir este mundo, las experiencia de fabricación de ladrillos es muy satisfactoria. Feliz semana:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Sí, estamos verdaderamente bendecidos de tener un grupo donde podemos compartir mucho.

      Delete
  3. Debe ser estupendo poder disfrutar de un curso de ese tipo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Isabel, fue maravilloso poder tomar esa clase. ¡Fue un regalo tan maravilloso de Marijke!

      Delete