Wednesday, April 24, 2019

More jewellery....

Tuesday night I went down to Stitch and Bitch and made 10 more pair of earrings and added 8 of them to the earring stand.

One of the ladies who is a quilter said she had some empty Mettler spools that I could have so I'll have more to share with my club members who want to try this.

Just a note here about painting the spool. I originally tried to use a black market but it wasn't small enough to get in all the nooks and crannies - and there are a LOT of them. So I ended up just painting it with black acrylic paint. It worked well enough and because the stand won't get a lot of handling, the acrylic will work. I think though that using a black spray primer would be the best.


 These pictures are terrible but the best I could do considering how very small these rings are.

 The rings themselves are 5/16" gold coloured jump rings so we're talking tiny.

This one is my favourite. It's made from two jump rings glued together with Gorilla super glue gel (my new favourite super glue). You can use super glue on the jump rings themselves but you can't use it to glue on the stones. Super glue causes the stones to fog so you must use a tacky glue to attach them.

I slipped the two attached jump rings onto the end of a skewer, dropped on three small drops of Tacky then put two red flatbacked stones in place with a flatbacked irridescent stone between them. Then I left it to dry overnight.


Five of these rings were made by slipping a jump ring on the tapered end of a skewer then adding about 3/16" of Tacky glue on each ring and dipping the ring into a bottle of no-hole beads, pulling it out and letting it dry at least overnight.

One was made by gluing some larger red no-hole beads on the band.



A couple of the rings didn't survive the transition to the ringholder.
This was made by Tacky gluing a flatbacked green stone to a jump ring.

I wanted to display the rings in a display case so I glued two layers of fun foam to a very thin layer of wood.

Painted some 1/4" scrap trim with the Krylon gold and added it on all four sides.

I trimmed down that bit on the right hand lower corner.

I cut two slits across the box with an X-Acto knife to put the rings in. That didn't work! Lost the beads on the ring that I tried to put in place. So I took the end of a toothpick and widened the channel with that. Did the trick!


Quite honestly, it doesn't look all that great in the closeup but (other than the fact that the second row is not parallel) it looks pretty darn good in person!

I want to make an individual setting for the first ring and will have to give that a bit of thought.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing how you made these lovely rings. One ring could look gorgeous in a box.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drora,
      Lots of fun to make. Now I just have to figure out how to make a tiny little box to display the first ring.
      Hugs Maureen

      Delete
  2. Es todo tan pequeño que supongo las fotos son imposibles. Pero es una delicia ver esa caja de anillos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Isabel. Las fotos son imposibles con mi cámara. Pero todo es muy divertido de hacer.

      Delete
  3. Love these rings, Maureen. And they look like they would be a lot of fun to make. I must give jewellery a try one of these days. Another item to add to my ever-growing list of things to try! Gee, thanks, Maureen! lol - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn, I am having so much fun with this! Hope you will give it a try at some point and enjoy it as much.
      Hugs, Maureen

      Delete