Monday, April 22, 2019

Earring rack for jewellery store

A couple weeks ago, I remembered that Carol Jones in Victoria had made an earring stand that I always admired. I had kept about 10 of the particular thread spools that she had used and decided I'd like to make one for the jewellery store to go with the jewellery I had made in Linda Austin's workshop.

I only had a vague memory of the stand so I emailed Carol and she was kind enough to send me a picture of it.

So I pulled out one of my thread spools (Mettler).


In keeping with the rest of the display pieces I had already done, I painted the middle section of the spool black.


 Then I used the Krylon gold pen to paint the top and bottom.

 Using photo paper, I cut a bunch of 1/4" x 3/16" pieces for cards to hold the earrings.

For earrings, I started with this piece of stick-on design meant to decorate a cell phone case (from Dollarama). I cut little pieces into earrings and stuck them to the pieces of photo paper.

I also used little sections of the Flower Soft stickers for some earrings and made one pair from the nail decorations below that. (Being white, they didn't work too well as they didn't show up well against the photo paper.)

Here are the ten pairs of earrings I made so far.

And here they are glued in place in the stand. 

I'll need to make a lot more to fill it but I'm off to a good start.

I do have some great nail art pieces that are too big for earrings so I may end up doing earrings on one side of the stand and making brooches for the other side.

Am very pleased with it so far.

9 comments:

  1. Great job so far Maureen! The converted thread spool display stand really makes your cards of earrings stand out against its black and gold.

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. Hate to wimp out but think I'll probably only do the one showing side - and I did get that one done.
      Hugs,
      Maureen

      Delete
  2. A fantastic idea with great results. Thanks for sharing.
    Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great? I'm just so pleased that Jonesy shared it with me and let me pass it on! Love the sharing that miniaturists do!
      Maureen

      Delete
  3. Me parece una idea muy original y queda muy bien.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias.
      Me encanta y me alegro mucho de que Carol me lo haya mostrado.
      Maureen

      Delete
  4. What a great idea, Maureen. I never would have thought of using a thread spool to make a display rack! Isn't it wonderful to have so many mini friends in our community of artists that we can bounce ideas of of and get renewed inspiration on a regular basis. I just love this hobby - and those who share the passion! - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn,
      What a blessing it was that Jonesy made this originally - and that I remembered that she had made it.
      We are truly blessed to have so many friends who share their passion and ideas with us.
      Hugs, Maureen

      Delete
  5. Great information about fashion earrings online. Keep Sharing more information about the jewellery.

    ReplyDelete