Monday, March 4, 2019

What I've accomplished so far...

First thing I did was sand down the bottom of the cabinet (second from the right, second picture) that was too tall. (This is the cabinet that originally held the sink that I moved to the kitchen island. Then I glued two layers of matboard to the bottom of the stove to make it a bit taller.

With the three cabinets on the left and the two on the right now the same height, I joined them with strips of double-sided carpet tape, then I cut pieces of 'marble' matboard and glued them in place as countertops.



I still need to do some sanding so the drawers will fit and need to add the drawer and door pulls.

Here I've added two rows of tile above the corner cabinets. These are great 3/8" self-stick plastic tiles that I bought at Dollarama years ago. I have three packages of 36 tiles so will have enough for the right hand side of the counter and above the stove.


Put aside working on the cupboards for now and worked on the kitchen island. I temporarily put the original top back on the island so you can see it as it was.

Here I've set the sink (from the cabinet mentioned above) in the carcass of the island.



If you've followed me for any length of time, you know I love casters on my furniture. So once I put the doors back on the island, I added casters to the bottom. 

I wanted the island to have a large top that would allow for seating and visiting...plus the under-counter sink. So I cut a 6 3/4" x 3 1/3" 'marble' top for the island and glued it to the top. Turned the entire piece upside down and used a heavy bottle to hold things in place while the glue dried. Couldn't use my usual book weight because of the casters.

Then it got really scary as I tried to work from above and cut out the hole for the sink without knocking off the casters. 

There has definitely got to be a better way to do this. I had earlier made a template of the sink hole and should have figured out how to cut the sink hole then cut the counter around it. Something to keep in mind...

Anyway, after all this, (head-thumping moment!!!) You can't have casters on an island that has plumbing! So took them off...

Then added the tap for the sink.


Painted the stools which will sit in front of the island.
 Back of the island....

With the doors open...
Will keep at it........

No comments:

Post a Comment