Saturday, September 15, 2018

Lists, lists, and more lists...prelude to Show and Sale on Sunday

The worst part was this morning when I had a ton of computer work to do and my #^%&$ computer froze continually. After 4 reboots, I was finally able to complete all of that work. Thanks be.

So at that point I was able to cross off a good portion of my "to do" list.

One of my "to-do's" was to post about what I'm taking to the Show on Sunday. So hopefully this will take care of that one....

The Miniature Enthusiasts of Edmonton (M.E.E.) club project this year is "Unusual Containers" and "UFOs - UnFinished  Objects".

UFOs are pretty explanatory so our Club Membership table will have examples of unusual containers used for minis. Our October 24 all-day workshop will have four people demonstrating  the use of unusual containers: I will be teaching turning a gift bag into a miniature scene; Margaret will be teaching using a papier-mache book for a scene; Tina will teach turning a round object into a scene; and Gilbert will demonstrate cutting a tin or bottle into a setting for a miniature scene

Unusual Settings;

This is a piece I did years ago to commemorate DD Leanne's years working in Dallas, her love of Disney, her fraternity, hobbies and just "her".


This Asian scene was done in a fibre optic lamp that I had stripped of the wiring.

This little vignette was done in a Shiseido makeup box.



One of my treasures in a Ferraro-Rocher bell, this Christmas gift was made by our dear Lorry Saunders.

This incredible scene in a basket was made by former M.E.E. member, Joyce Buchanan, and hangs on my door most of the year. It's an example of what Tina will be teaching at the all-day workshop.

Since the VERY few minis I have done this year have been as gifts, I will be showing two much older projects that I actually don't know that I've ever shown before.

This is in the "fun" category. Tina, Joanne and I realized that we each had little mini pieces that family members had brought back from Central America for us.

This is a piece that Leanne brought back for me. About 148 scale.


This is my Serendipity Shop. A little souvenir shop in Nova Scotia. A project done at Camp Mini Haha when it was still at Camp Berwick. This is only half of the project as it was originally a shop on a wharf but it's all I got done. My favourite thing is the use of a paper napkin for the mural on the outside wall. Most of the items were tidbits from CMHH.

(I actually dusted after the pictures were taken. LOL)





The Penthouse

For better pictures and the story behind this, check it out here. Due to its size (24"w x 15" d x 12"h), I don't think I've ever displayed it before so I will have to make sure that everything is glued in place.

The Penthouse was inspired by Chryssa Sharp who, when I met her was a grad student in Calgary. She had talked about doing a scene similar to this - but with a trail of a woman's underwear from the living room. When this all came together, it spoke to me as a man's penthouse, rather than a woman's.

Chryssa is also the author of Signs of Mini Addiction. One of my absolutely favourite descriptions of our addiction/hobby.

In 2008-09, I got a box of "leftovers" from Alice Zinn, a wonderful miniaturist from Florida.In that box was a piece of city skyline fabric that inspired this whole roombox. It is the sight outside the balcony (with a wicker chair made at a M.E.E. class and a standing ashtray (Reutter) with a cigar.



 I don't think this is something that I can mention on my description for the Show but I'll mention it here: On the night stand, there is a copy of "The Joy of Sex" AND a box of condoms! Safety first!
There is actually a wine rack behind the bar. 
 I love how much detail I put into this that just doesn't show up.


If I didn't have the TV in the entertainment centre below, I guess you could think that the picture above that was a wide-screen TV. ....May have to rethink that....

2 comments:

  1. Your right Maureen, I thought that was a Big Screen t.v in the penthouse and I didn't notice the other until you pointed it out.

    ReplyDelete