Sunday, February 23, 2014

Finally some progress

I really like building simple furniture.....BUT building it through the bottom of an existing top of a room is NO fun! Taking all the measurements and allowing for the corner pillars of the top is no easy matter. Especially when I wanted the undershelves on the left to be on a slant so the items on them would be more visible. 

This is as far as I got with pictures. The first picture on the left is of the front of the storage area below the furniture display on the right hand side. The rest of the pictures are of the pieces for the shelving on the left hand side. 


I was too lazy to get out the spray painting tent that June K. gave me so I just used my makeshift bathtub spray tent - added advantage of being able to use the bathroom exhaust fan for cut down on the smell. THEN I ran out of spray paint. But once I sanded the painted pieces with a brown paper bag, they worked.

I added handles made from silver beads and sequin pins to add handles to this piece. Originally I was going to add "hinges" with a silver pen then decided these doors would have "invisible" hinges.


All I will say about the shelving on the left hand side is that you didn't want to be around when I was building it. I believe that the sloped shelving below was definitely the right decision but I made a LOT of mistakes that I had to correct on the fly.


Here are most of the boxes of Christmas ornaments:
So many different colours and designs
 It's just disappointing that you can't see the ornaments themselves.

Here the middle shelf is semi-filled with Christmas crackers, garland and a couple more boxes of ornaments.

The right side again with the furniture pieces.

The right side from the outside.

I've had this plastic shelving unit for years and I think I can maybe use it somehow here:

If I can cut the top recessed shelving off the above piece immediately above the first recessed piece,

Like this:




The top piece can go in the middle of the left hand shelf - lots of visibility from both inside and outside the shop.

The bottom piece can go in the middle of the back wall. Best of all the ornament board will fit above it!

The door covers and rolls of wrapping paper can go on either side of it.


There is a great 3" x 3 1/2" area to the left of the door where I can put a card/book shelf.

I'm feeling really good about the plans so far except for not knowing how I can somehow get a Christmas tree in there.


1 comment:

  1. it's coming along well :) I can't wait to see the finished product

    Hugs
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete