Thursday, November 29, 2012

Odds and ends...

I have two books that Vern's sister, Marie, read to him when he was young. They're from a series written between 1853 and 1858 "Rollo's Tour in Europe": "Rollo on the Atlantic" and "Rollo in Scotland". From the preface: "The books are intended to be books of instruction rather than of mere amusement; and in perusing them, the reader may feel assured that all the information which they contain, not only in respect to the countries visited, and to the customs, usages, and modes of life that are described, but also in regard to the general character of the incidents and adventures that the young travellers meet with, is in most strict accordance with fact."

I'm sending them to Jonah and Holly - not because I think they'll enjoy reading them (they're a bit dry and preachy) but so they have something of Vern's. But before they go in the mail, I scanned the covers and made miniature copies of them to go in the attic.


I wouldn't be sending them now but Holly's birthday is coming up and she's having a "fairy princess" party so after e-mails with Julie, I made a set of "fairy dust" necklaces for her and her guests.

I refilled a set of the nail art mini bottles from Dollarama with very fine glitter (the same glitter I used on the Christmas stocking the other day), added some nail decals to the fronts of the bottles, and added cords so they can be worn as necklaces.



On Saturday at 9 a.m., we're putting up the Christmas trees and decorations in the condo building then Barb, Joanne and I will be working on our minis.  I should plan on working on the attic but I still don't have my gift made for the MEE Christmas party next Tuesday so that will probably be on my agenda. First, of course, I have to decide what to make......VBG

1. I thought about making a fireplace and decorating it for Christmas (centrepiece, candlesticks, maybe some draped greenery, maybe bows?)...Then I found this in my stash BUT if I use it, there's nothing of 'me' in it - just putting things together from my stash...

2. OR maybe doing a sofa table decorated for Christmas - can't use the one shown as I drilled a hole in the top when I planned on using it as a vanity with an above-table sink but I do have another one (the red Dollarama furniture) that I can use...

3. OR I could use a refinished oval red Dollarama furniture coffee table (not shown here) and put a gift, box, ribbons, scissors, bows, tapes and wrapping paper for a Christmas gift wrapping scene... Something like this Actually a good idea as the table could be switched with the usual one in a living room to make it "Christmasy"...

4. OR I could put handles on this Michael's hutch and fill it with (a) towels, Kleenex, toiletries, etc., or (b) maybe Christmas dishes and ornaments that could be removed and used in other scenes.



I think I'm liking #3...

No comments:

Post a Comment