Tuesday, June 19, 2012

My holiday...

Two days after the All Day Workshop, my computer crashed! Aside from this blog and my online groups, I spend a LOT of time on the computer. I try to follow several other blogs and I keep a pad and pen on the coffee table and am continually jotting down things that I want to check out and find out more about.

So it was nice that my planned trip with DD Leanne and Robert took up five of the 16 days that my computer was in for repairs.

They had left a week previously and driven to Las Vegas (doing a lot of sightseeing along the way). My flight left at 6 on Wednesday morning so had to leave for the airport at 3:30 a.m.!!!

They met me at the airport and we made a quick stop at Fry's Electronics. Leanne has quite often called me from there to see if I wanted any of the tools she found so wanted to see it for myself. Unfortunately, didn't find anything that called my name.

Our second stop was the Peter Lik Gallery. Because Leanne and Rob are such fans of his work, I had looked at it online and even put a miniature piece in the Bombay House. But you can't begin to get the full effect of his work online. His photographs are printed on a special paper and in the galleries they have special viewing rooms where you can see them with the light on a dimmer switch. As the light dims or brightens, the pictures take on a life of their own. If I ever win the lottery, I know exactly which of his pictures I'll buy!

Then we headed to the Luxor to see the Titanic exhibit. Leanne had seen this one before and we had driven to Calgary to see the exhibit there. Absolutely incredible! I highly recommend it.

After seeing the Titanic exhibit, checked into my room at the hotel and it was time to head to the Venetian to see Phantom. Although I was very familiar with all the music, I had never seen the show. We had seats front row centre and, believe me, they were worth every penny. The sets and the costuming were incredibly beautiful and the music was so enhanced by them. Great experience!

Walked back to our hotel and called it a night.

The next morning, we went to Target where I got some tops and some Christmas presents for Leanne, Sean and Jonah. Went to Dollar Tree but didn't find a thing (very disappointed) then went to Michael's where I picked up four adhesives that aren't carried here (Yippee!).

We arrived in Anaheim mid-afternoon, checked into the hotel (right across the street from the entrance to Disneyland) and headed to the park. I haven't been to Disneyland for about 20 years so other than Main Street and the Railroad, it was pretty much like a first-time visit. And of course, California Adventure wasn't there the last time I was there.

Friday morning, Leanne had a special pass to a new area of California Adventure so Rob and I had a leisurely morning and met her at 11 and went through the parks again. We hadn't planned on staying for the fireworks but as we were leaving, there was a big break in the crowd so we decided to watch - and I'm so glad we did. They were worth the hassle of trying to leave the park in that crowd.

Although Leanne isn't a miniaturist herself, she's very knowledgeable and appreciative of the hobby. As a very frequent visitor to Disneyland, she's very familiar with Robert Olszewski's work and has often asked me if I wanted one of his pieces. I've always said "no" but I changed my mind and bought "Gepetto Painting Pinnochio". (3 3/4" x 4 3/8")

With lights on:
With lights off:

Saturday we went to the beach very briefly, did a bit of shopping (another Dollar Tree where I got some of the strongly coloured baby washcloths) and spent the evening at Disneyland.

And Sunday, the kids dropped me off at LAX and I began the trip home.

No comments:

Post a Comment